…… Part of The Basics series. First published in December 2013 ……
This post shares observations about the “Top 50” organizations out of the 315 organizations that participated in the 2013 research (report published early 2014).
Organizational and business benefits
Organizations that are strong in “people capabilities” report stronger organizational capabilities in 4 critical areas:
- Retaining knowledge when the baby boomers leave.
- A continual learning context for the workforce.
- Business flexibility and reactivity in the face of major changes in markets, economy and natural disasters.
- Ease for the customer-facing workforce to serve clients.
How mobile-enabled are the Top 50?
Forty-five to 55 percent of the top 50 will be offering a significant number of mobile services to their workforce by the end of 2014.
What cultures in the Top 50?
The Top 50 have organizational cultures that are collaborative, open and empowering – much more so than the other organizations.
You can read more details in the presentation below which I made in Paris when I chaired the annual Rencontre internationale pour responsables intranet et RSE” (enterprise social networks in French) in November.
The people capabilities scored are:
- sharing information and knowledge with others
- reacting to news and information
- finding expertise across the organization
- co-creating content
- participating in internal crowdsourcing and open innovation
- communicating in real time
- sharing user-generated videos
Slide 6 shows details about the capabilities scored to arrive at the Top 50.
Get in touch if you’d like a download link.
The Top 50 responded with confidence to four key business questions: (Slide 16.)
- How confident are you that your organization can retain the knowledge and know-how of older experts and specialists when they retire?
- How easy is it for people to learn and develop their skills and knowledge as a natural part of working?
- How flexible is your organization when you need to react rapidly to major events: market changes, new competition, economic downturns, environmental or disaster events.
- How easy is it for customer-facing people to find the information they need, provide rapid service, collaborate with their customers and colleagues and in general have a smooth and efficient work experience?