…… Part of The Basics series. First published in February 2009 ……
I received an email recently from someone wanted to know “How can I make my senior management more aware of what our intranet can provide?”
Here is what I included on the “short list” I sent him:`(from high impact down)
1. Find out what your competitors are doing with their intranets and tell them. Hopefully they are more advanced than your organization. If not, forget this one!
2. Try to identify some risk management issues that the intranet can help alleviate. Risk managers are very helpful allies.
3. Of course, look for financial gains and savings (faster client response, streamlined self-service processes for employees, etc.). Express these gains in business terms.
4. Nowadays, management is sensitive to the need to increase employee engagement.
5. Depending on the industry you are in and the retirement rate in your current workforce, they may be influenced by the argument of making the intranet more attractive to new employees. I know if I were looking for a job, I would want to the see intranet and the digital work environment before joining an organization.
What would be on your short lists?