Web Workplace – a new word for intranet?
We need to find a new word for “intranet”.
Why? Because we need to wake people up, lose the “dead weight” we have with the word “intranet”, help people – especially top management – focus on why intranets are business critical.
I turned to the members of NetJMC & Co, the Intranet manager group I run on Linkedin (over 300 members around the globe), and asked them the following…
“The word “intranet” is out-of-date in my opinion. I’m often asked how I defined “intranet” for the Global Intranet Strategies Survey, and I confess it is getting harder and harder to have a meaningful definition.
I’m considering concepts like “the intranet-enabled workplace” or the “web-enabled workplace” or the “connected workplace”.
I need to find a phrase that embraces all the things intranets do (or could do) for people and for business.
Can you help me find a phrase or word for this?
Ideally we need a term or phrase that also speaks to senior management. “
Here’s the brainstorm that resulted from my question:
- Web office
- Online office
- Online interactive workspace
- Online workspace
- Online interactive website
- Online desktop
- Online workplace
- My workplace available anytime anywere
- Employee Connected Office
- Collaborative Employee Workspace
- Mobile workspace
- My deskspace
- Workspace anywhere
- Employee Portal
- Resource and Collaboration Portal
- Communications and information mangement platform / portal
- Workplace Web – getting business done – Together
- Company information, news and collaboration portal
- Workplace Channel
- Communication and Information Channel
- Workplace Connections
- Web Workplace
- My Collective and Personal Workplace
- Adaptive Workplace
- Intranet Portal
My personal favourite from this list is the Web Workplace. I like it because:
- It is not limited to internal, and expresses the business need to provide workspaces for mixed teams (internal + external)
- It focuses on work, business, what people need to do.
- It can be abbreviated into WW!
I sent out a message on Twitter about my preference, and got the following responses:
Response: “Web workplace. Not bad, but doesn’t really indicate anything internal, to me. Or was that intentional?”
JMC – YES, that is part of the intention!
Response: A “Web workplace” is for Digital Nomads & is intra-extra-internet enabled.
JMC – Exactly!
Response: “Doesn’t get my vote definitely needs to be a one word solution for me”
JMC – I agree, but what…???
Response: “I like it”
JMC – Me too!
Response: “Not sure if i agree with the “web” part… in my company we are creating a new “intranet” based on a RIA application”
JMC – Good point. Could you elaborate a little?
So, the conversation is not yet finished…..
Please give me your ideas on this. I feel it is really an important issue and can be part of the solution for making intranets more meaningful and visible to management, and thereby better resourced and supported in general.
What are your favourites from the list above? Do you have other words to suggest?
- – -
P.S. If you’re an intranet manager and haven’t yet joined NetJMC & Co, drop me an email or click here to request membership: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1360277