Digital workplace: transformational framework
I’ll be talking about the digital workplace at the IOM Summit (Information Organization Management) June 19th in Cologne. When asked to give 3 tags for my talk, I said:
- Change facilitation
The IOM Summit organizers asked me 5 questions:
- What is your definition and concept idea of the digital workplace?
- What is the motivation of corporations turning towards the concept of the digital workplace and who is driving the idea?
- What are the key challenges in realizing a digital workplace initiative?
- In order to be successful with the digital workplace do we have to start “at the head” – and get the management support and understanding of a new digitalized sharing culture within the enterprise?
- Is the digital workplace the end of the intranet?
You can read the full interview here.
My final comment in the interview:
“Five years ago, in 2007, I gave a talk in Frankfurt titled Intranets tomorrow – a glimpse into the future. My key message was that intranets tomorrow will be much more than they are today. Now, 5 years later, that is clearly the case. I know several leading organizations that use the term “intranet” to encompass all three dimensions: managed, structured collaboration and social collaboration. So, again, it depends on how you define the word “intranet”.
“There are two key things that are really important:
“Build a vision of a workplace that extends beyond the office, the computer and the enterprise firewall.
“Agree on vocabulary within your own organization. Whatever you decide to call it, having common language will save time and help people overcome many obstacles that are sometimes real, but often just a question of understanding.”